Is there a specific word or term for the two dots in this "14:23"?

Edit. I know it's a colon. :-) I mean specifically related to date and time display.


It is a colon. The typographic symbol - :

Its usage in denoting time is not universal, however. Many countries use a period (full stop) in its place. (14.23 for 2:23 PM).

To my knowledge there is not a special term to designate a colon separating hours:minutes.


The symbol is a colon. In your example, it might also be called a seperator or a delimiter

protected by tchrist Sep 28 '15 at 23:44

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.