I am looking for a generic word that can be used to refer to a fairly large industrial part or component such as a generator, motor, control box or possibly a circuit board.

We are using the word "part" to refer the much smaller items (like screws and wires) the go into the larger things.

What is a good word o use for the larger items that are comprised of parts, which can be used in context with the word "part?"

example: We only use the best parts to fix your parts.

  • 2
    "to refer to a fairly large industrial part or component " what about that? Mar 21, 2014 at 14:38
  • 2
    Component is pretty much the word used in this situation. We only use the best parts to fix your components.
    – David M
    Mar 21, 2014 at 14:39
  • --updates question
    – Hoytman
    Mar 21, 2014 at 14:40
  • As the old Wendy's commercials said "parts is parts". youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E Mar 21, 2014 at 14:49
  • life, is, life, du du du tadu
    – Hoytman
    Mar 21, 2014 at 14:51

6 Answers 6


Equipment is the word I typically see for such items, especially if you prefer to not use component.

Here's a site I've used that relies loosely on a tools/parts/equipment categorization. And another. Maybe a third?

  • So far, Eeuipment sounds the best in context.
    – Hoytman
    Mar 21, 2014 at 19:20

You could call it an assembly (second definition, meaning 4):-

machinery a group of mating components before or after fitting together


Module may fit your needs.

A module is comprised of a number of components but is then itself built into larger equipment.


Another example:

For the small parts I would use hardware. Example "We use the best hardware to fix your furniture". Also I would use industrial machinery for the bigger ones. "We use the best hardware to fix your industrial machinery".

  • Sounds OK, but I would like to use a single word
    – Hoytman
    Mar 21, 2014 at 15:15

Device, building block, component block or apparatus could work for you.

The owner of a conglomeration of devices, modules, and other equipment probably thinks of it as a system. The things you buy could be considered products.

We only use the best parts (or products) to repair your system sounds (just) okay to me.

Your system will be lovingly constructed of the finest hand-crafted component blocks, including the Swiss-made Rockwell Retro Encabulator apparatus.

  • Personally, I love it, but it needs to be a bit more salt-of-the-earth.
    – Hoytman
    Mar 21, 2014 at 15:13
  • Best tools
  • Best equipment (as already pointed out by jboneca)


  • "We have the best infrastructure for all repairs".
  • Could we say, "Hold on to this infrastructure while I drill some holes through it"? Because the OP was looking for another name for an industrial part. Mar 21, 2014 at 18:16
  • No we can't say that obviously. But the example of context he gave was related to communication with a customer. So, it might work. In your example, a simple "Hold on to this while I..." will suffice. No need to qualify.
    – moonstar
    Mar 22, 2014 at 3:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.