Is there an analog to "electrically isolated" but related to pressure (or more specifically, air pressure) instead of electricity? Perhaps "pneumatically isolated"? I don't think "hermetically isolated" has the proper meaning. I also considered "manometrically isolated", but I think that seems to refer too much to manometry. I just want to express that two different rooms are not isolated from each other in terms of air pressure.

Perhaps "piezo-isolated"? I can't find any precedence for this specific phrase, but it seems to express the correct meaning.

4 Answers 4


I don't know that there is a catch-all term for what you want.

When speaking of airflow within rooms, one typically says that they share a ventilation system. Or that that are isolated. Then you would describe the method of isolation. For example a negative pressure room, HEPA filtration, etc.

I suppose you could say the rooms are barometrically isolated. Which means they are isolated from each other's air pressure. But, I don't know that it is quite the correct term.

  • "barometrically" is a good suggestion I hadn't thought of. I prefer that to "manometrically", which I had previously considered, although "barometrically" still has some sense of measurement to it.
    – Cerran
    Mar 12, 2014 at 12:52

If you want to express that two different rooms are not isolated from each other in terms of air pressure, that presumably implies they're at the same pressure. In which case they are...

isobaric - having or showing equal barometric pressure
Also: isopiestic - having equal atmospheric pressure

I'm not sure there's much call for a word with the opposite meaning - having different pressures. That's just the normal state of affairs (and why draughts come through open doors and windows).

  • In fact, it seems that "isopiestic" can have the same meaning as "isobaric", at least in AE. Sources: [1] [2] [3] [4] My BE-specific sources either omit the word entirely or discuss ground water pressure.
    – Cerran
    Mar 12, 2014 at 13:14

As an one time welder, we referred to gas-tight welds or joins, even when the medium filling the apparatus was liquid.

Technically the qualification in the EU. is: EN 1708-1. "Welding. Basic welded joint details in steel. Pressurized components." - it's still referred to as gas-tight on the factory floor.


Although it does not directly refer to pressure, "atmospherically isolated" may work in the context of air pressure (contingent upon, of course, the specific linguistic context). If the air pressure is affected by factors other than atmospheric pressure, it may not describe the situation accurately. But at least "atmospherically" has no implication of a measurement paradigm, unlike words like "manometrically" and "barometrically".

  • I would say they share an atmosphere if you want to go with the word atmosphere.
    – David M
    Mar 12, 2014 at 14:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.