I am looking for a phrase or an vocabulary that means "walking like a king".

  • 8
    There is none. You will have to use an adverb, like majestically or what have you. Which is the whole point of having adverbs in the first place: so you don't need a dedicated verb for everything. – RegDwigнt Mar 10 '14 at 12:13
  • 1
    Ditto to Reg's comment - every synonym for walking or parambulating is made "kingly" with adverbs like "stately", "regal", etc. – Kristina Lopez Mar 10 '14 at 13:18
  • 1
    @RegDwigнt: What if you're not allowed to use adverbs? Like in Strunk and White or Orwell? – Mitch Mar 10 '14 at 13:30
  • 3
    Do you know if there is one and just can't remember it, or is there one in your native language and hope their to be an exact translation in English, or are you just wondering? – Mitch Mar 10 '14 at 13:31
  • option, i read somewhere and can't remember now! – Karthikeyan Mar 10 '14 at 15:02

Swagger is To walk with an air of overbearing confidence.

Strut is to walk with a vain, pompous bearing, as with head erect and chest thrown out, as if expecting to impress observers.

Sashay is to move or walk in a showy way, parade.

Flaunt is to parade or display oneself conspicuously, defiantly, or boldly.

| improve this answer | |
  • I would think the queen would be "sashaying about" (no pun intended). – Jack Ryan Mar 11 '14 at 12:19

The answer depends on what aspect of kingliness you want to capture. Without more information, I would suggest stride, to walk deliberately with long, measured steps.

| improve this answer | |

"Promenade", when used as a verb implies that the subject is of public interest. It would be an appropriate word in this context.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.