What is the word for the state of ignoring something?

For instance, if I am ignoring you, am I in a state of ignorance? Is there a better word with a less negative connotation?

  • 1
    The "negative connotation" directly derives from the normally intended meaning (I deliberately and consciously do not wish to be aware of you). If you don't want that (I'm in a state of ignorance regarding you, but not by deliberate choice) then you're just unaware. That's to say, you're in a state of unawareness – FumbleFingers Mar 6 '14 at 17:47
  • 1
    The phrase willful ignorance is legal terminology to mean intentional avoidance of knowledge. – bib Mar 6 '14 at 18:11

I think you are looking for ignoration.

1. The state of being ignorant

2. The action of ignoring something, or the state of being ignored

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.