I'm looking to write a Java interface similar to Observer/Observable but with Newspaper/insert_word_here. I'd like the word to not be something simple like reader, but has some sort of reference to what the reader is reading.

If someone has other suggestions of an item that is read/viewed/etc and a corresponding noun-ified verb that goes alongside while referencing the item type I would also like to see that.

Meta - I wanted to add a tag 'word-pair' for the alternative second half but I couldn't due to low reputation. If anyone wants to add it, or if they feel like it should be a separate question, feel free to comment.

  • I don't know what the Java interface "Observer/Observable" is; but observable is an adjective, not a nounified verb. What is it that you are asking for? – Andrew Leach Mar 6 '14 at 16:20
  • I meant 'observer' as the nounified verb (not sure what the proper term is), and observable is the newspaper. – agweber Mar 6 '14 at 16:23
  • Agent noun; but then newspaper is not one of those. – Andrew Leach Mar 6 '14 at 16:24
  • The agent noun is the person acting on the object. In the case of the Observable, the Observable is in fact an adjective, but it could be read as making the class observable. "The observable messageboard was observed by the observer." – agweber Mar 6 '14 at 16:27

If it's code, then what's wrong with NewspaperReader? Better to have a clunky, explicit name than something pretty but less informative.

(NewsReader would is easier to say, but means something else.)

  • Ah, you're very right. Clarity over attractiveness is where I should be headed. – agweber Mar 6 '14 at 16:24

In my apps I refer to these things as Paper Edition (reader). Your application or site could still be viewed as part of the newspaper.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.