Is there any word for the person who is running the business of "Prostitution" ?

Who indulge or force, girls or woman in the business of prostitution?

  • Did you try looking it up in Wikipedia? Mar 3, 2014 at 8:06
  • yes,but found nothing. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:08
  • The correct answer given by Łukasz below is also given in the Wikipedia article in its terminology section. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:13

2 Answers 2


Yes :)

Quick research from Polish word (sutener) to referring English article in Wikipedia, and I've found the following:

Such person is called a procurer (and what he's doing, is called procuring).

Colloquially they are called pimp (male) and madam (female).

  • 1
    It's possible that the OP is looking for “human trafficker,” which is also discussed in the Wikipedia article. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:20

A woman in charge of a brothel is sometimes called a madam.

  • But madam is very general word which can be used for any woman responsible for some duty. I am looking for something highly specific. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:04
  • Pimp is the other main word for this sort of thing, possibly closer to what the OP is looking for. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:04
  • 6
    @dev Madam is highly specific, it just has more than one meaning. But usually this is exactly what it means unless used as a title. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:05
  • 3
    Context is everything. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:39
  • The OED's fifth definition of madam is 'a female brothel-keeper'. It has been so used since the late nineteenth century. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.