As per title - is there such a word?

Either a noun:

John is an ?????? (his only brother died when he was 3)

or verb (or past tense as an adjective):

John was ????ed today (his only sister died today)

  • The first would be a noun. I don't know of any such word/s. Commented Mar 1, 2014 at 9:35
  • 1
    The origin of the word orphan seems to be the Latin orphanus which means "without parents" or "fatherless". So perhaps the latin word unigenita meaning "only child" would be a root word? I don't think there is a word for losing all siblings. Commented Mar 1, 2014 at 9:38
  • 1
    @SubmittedDenied Perhaps then "unigenitified" or "unigenitiated" and for a noun "unigenitian" (following the "an" ending of orphan)?
    – Bohemian
    Commented Mar 1, 2014 at 14:15
  • One of my friends is a bereaved sibling. I have suggested we coin the term "sidow" for her - like a widow, but for siblings.
    – user190335
    Commented Aug 8, 2016 at 18:39
  • Welcome to EL&U. This isn't a discussion forum, but a Q&A site which favors definitive, well-supported answers, and while sidow might be an interesting neologism, it isn't in common use. I strongly encourage you to take the site tour and review the help center for a better understanding of the goals and practices of our site.
    – choster
    Commented Aug 8, 2016 at 19:13

2 Answers 2


They are often mentioned as "bereaved sibling".

For example, in this book:

Sibling Grief: Healing After the Death of a Sister Or Brother - By P. Gill White

bereaved adj. Suffering the loss of a loved one: the bereaved family.

  • Sure, but the term doesn't indicate the person lost all of their siblings
    – Bohemian
    Commented Aug 8, 2016 at 19:18

Someone with no siblings is called an only child. I have heard an elderly woman say, when her last sibling had died, "Now I have become an only child."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.