What might you call someone who verbally harasses a player from the stands?

Hey Lincecum. I've seen better curves on a square!

Who is that guy?

  • We would just call him a jerk (well, something more nasty) but you get the idea. – David M Feb 26 '14 at 17:37
  • 1
    Search "sports heckler" in Google and it returns many hits on that phrase. Why do you think there is another name for that person? – Kristina Lopez Feb 26 '14 at 17:40
  • Well, colloquialisms make for a more interest narrative. I could call someone a infantryman, by I might prefer to describe them as a "grunt". Colloquialisms often exist to provide more visually evocative descriptions of the activity. (Grunt? Ah yes -- he must spend his time schelping a backpack and grunting.) I Googled for this before posting, but didn't find anything interesting. I wish there was a dictionary of colloquialisms. Urban dictionary is a good source, but only if you know the phrase you're looking for -- their thesaurus features leave a lot to be desired. – user48956 Feb 27 '14 at 19:01

Per Wikipedia heckler is still the proper term.

If it is heckling between players, we call this trash talking. (Or Wikipedia suggests sledging when it is between cricket teams.)

The other term for this guy is jerk (or any variety of nastier nicknames).

  • Infantryman is also a proper term. I might prefer grunt. What's the analogous phrase here? – user48956 Feb 27 '14 at 19:02
  • @user48956 I understand your point. I cannot seem to find any reference to any other term for this. We in the States typically refer to these people as obnoxious fans, but that seems too general for your context. – David M Feb 27 '14 at 19:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.