What is the term used to describe when two items have been mixed up (i.e.the month and day of a date of birth)?

  • Can you clarify what you mean by mixed up? Saying Tuesday instead of Wednesday? Saying February, Tuesday 2, 2014?
    – bib
    Commented Feb 25, 2014 at 16:07

3 Answers 3


Transposed, meaning when two or more things exchange places, as in "The month and the day were accidentally transposed when you filled out this form."


Another possibility is to say that the items were interchanged.

From Collins dictionary:

interchange: to change places or cause to change places; alternate; exchange; switch


I would say "inverted".

Example: Sorry, I inverted the month and day. I meant February 10th, not October 2nd.

Here is the Merriam-Webster definition: to change the position, order, or relationship of things so that they are the opposite of what they had been

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.