I'm looking for a word/phrase that means "a team quickly put together from miscellaneous people".

It is NOT "ragtag group"/"motley crew".

I think it is "[something] team"

  • thesaurus.com/browse/motley : mixed, varied disparate assorted conglomerate dappled diversified mingled mixed variegated
    – mplungjan
    Feb 24, 2014 at 13:20
  • @mplungjan I had already checked :) I'm afraid it's something a little more slangish
    – d'alar'cop
    Feb 24, 2014 at 13:21
  • merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/ragtag : eclectic diverse sundry and many more
    – mplungjan
    Feb 24, 2014 at 13:23
  • 1
    Ah, ok. Please next time include your investigations - how about multitudinous
    – mplungjan
    Feb 24, 2014 at 13:27
  • 2
    In the context of a team for sports or other competition this might be called a 'scratch team'
    – aPaulT
    Feb 24, 2014 at 13:52

2 Answers 2


In the context of a team for sport or other competitions this could be called a 'scratch team'.

(answerfied comment)


If you want a more "official" sounding term you could try ad hoc:-

for the special purpose or end presently under consideration: a committee formed ad hoc to deal with the issue.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.