At uni you can do the final test of a course twice, what do you call the second test ?

Is it a second term ? No that's the second semester isn't it ?

  • 2
    In the UK, it is called resit exam and we usually say to resit an exam or to retake an exam. I think the latter sounds less formal.
    – Nico
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:31
  • It's a resit in Oz
    – d'alar'cop
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:34
  • @Nico how do you pronounce it ? re-zit or re-sit sit like sitting on a chair ?
    – GinKin
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:34
  • @d'alar'cop Oz ?
    – GinKin
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:35
  • 2
    As in chair. Oz is short for Australia. Feb 24, 2014 at 11:41

1 Answer 1


When you fail you might have the option to retake an exam (also used as a noun). In British English resit is also (more?) commonly used (both as verb and noun).

In some cases they are also called supplementary exams however these can also mean exams in other subjects or from a different exam board that can replace the original exam

Edit: retest is another possibility (from comments)

  • So in the US it's just called to retake the exam ? Is there no special word for it ?
    – GinKin
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:44
  • 2
    i'm mainly a BE user but at least CS related certifications (which are always AME) always talk about retakes (which, as an afterthought, makes sense, since you take an exam or sit for an exam)
    – msam
    Feb 24, 2014 at 11:45
  • 1
    @oerkelens true but they have an "exam retake policy" in their T&Cs :)
    – msam
    Feb 24, 2014 at 12:08
  • 2
    @GinKin The opportunity to take a final exam a second time is in no way universal in the U.S., and could depend not only on the university system, institution, academic unit, and academic department, but on the particular instructor. I am not surprised that there is no more specific term than retest or retake.
    – choster
    Feb 24, 2014 at 15:02
  • 1
    During my time in the education system, they were normally called retakes. This may vary in different parts of the UK and, in different establishments. I would not consider Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and London Universities to be typical of the education system throughout the UK, including schools and sixth forms, which also use the word retakes.
    – Tristan r
    Feb 25, 2014 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.