This question already has an answer here:

Is there a word for a second word which is contained in the first word, as in, for example, the word end in the word friend?

marked as duplicate by Matt E. Эллен, FumbleFingers, Mari-Lou A, choster, phenry Feb 23 '14 at 23:50

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    No. You can talk about letter strings as being part of larger letter strings, but letter strings are not words. – John Lawler Feb 22 '14 at 20:44
  • I think forms like abso-bloody-lutely (which has its own dictionary definition there) are called "infixes". There must be something subtle going on, because nobody ever says "ab-bloody-solutely". – FumbleFingers Feb 22 '14 at 21:27
  • @FumbleFingers - That is called tmesis. It says: " The insertion may occur between the parts of a compound word, or between syllable boundaries (dystmesis), but always preceding a stressed syllable (e.g. one would never say, "Ab-bloody-solutely", preferring "Abso-bloody-lutely")." – ermanen Feb 22 '14 at 22:33
  • They're a subset of 'hidden words' and constitute one type of cryptic crossword clue. – Edwin Ashworth Feb 22 '14 at 22:39

The best I could come up with is "subword":

A subword of a word is a sequence of at least 2 letters obtainable by removing (possibly zero) letters from the beginning and end; it is proper if at least one letter is removed.

Though this concept is simply mentioned regarding to word games mainly, it even branches out to mathematical and computational linguistics. It is considered as substring and subsequence in some of the cases as well.

This concept is mentioned in compound structures and agglutination also.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.