A selfie is a kind of casual self-portrait. People often take selfies that include a significant other or multiple friends, and I’m curious whether there is any established terminology or slang for this kind of “group selfie.”

The linked Wikipedia article indicates that they are simply known as “group selfies,” but I suspect that there may be an older or better established term. I’m also curious whether there are specific terms for “couple selfies” featuring a significant other or best friend. Formal English, slang, and jargon terms are all acceptable.

  • 3
    And if “group selfie” really is the best term for this, that would be a good answer too – I'd like to see the evidence for it one way or the other. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01
  • 2
    Or a "self groupie"?
    – Oldcat
    Feb 20, 2014 at 1:14
  • 4
    @Oldcat That sounds like a very different, and euphemistic thing. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:16
  • 1
    Selvesies certainly fits. Feb 20, 2014 at 10:22
  • A selfie is a photo taken by yourself, with your arm outstretched, holding the camera [often a smartphone] backwards. Of course it's a matter of opinion, but for me the critical element is "are typically taken with a camera held at arm's length" (as some random person wrote on the wikipedia site).
    – Fattie
    Jul 24, 2014 at 11:39

2 Answers 2


The few sources out there seem to prefer the term "X" Selfie, where X is replaced by family, group, etc.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any real consensus, except that a true selfie is more of a snapshot than an artful application. There are some who would claim a selfie must be taken at arms length and not with a mirror or self-timer, but this remains a matter of debate (see comments below!)

Perhaps, the more important distinction falls between a self-portrait vs. a selfie. A self-portrait in most usage implies forethought and artfulness. A selfie is an attempt to record oneself in a place or time. In theory, you could make an artful selfie, but you'd be plundering the territory of self-portraits.

Interestingly, Canon, the camera manufacturer does even not have a terminology for the usage of a self-timer to take a group photo. They refer to using the self-timer to take "self-portraits or pictures of you with friends and family".

Here is the source speaking about the self-timer function in their cameras.

  • 1
    Given that they are the number one camera manufacturer in the world by market share, their manuals tend to read pretty well. Canon USA does their own manuals, as does Canon Europe, etc. (A quick peek at my avatar will tell you that I've put a bit of time in with camera manuals!) Also of note, that is not a product manual, but rather a source for professional photographers.
    – David M
    Feb 20, 2014 at 1:43
  • That link is to Canon Professional Network.
    – David M
    Feb 20, 2014 at 1:45
  • Thanks for the edit, that's an improvement, although “selfie” includes more than just pictures taken at arm's length. It also includes handheld mirror pics for certain, and possibly also webcam pics. But probably not self-timer pics, so the Canon document may not be relevant. Feb 20, 2014 at 2:43

It seems like you could coin your own. Selfie, Groupie, Couplie.... I might even suggest going a step further and adding a recognizable conformity, as with iPad, iPod--

self-e, group-e, couple-e, family-e (in this case you wouldn't actually pronounced the 'E') variations could be

selfE, self'e, self'E, self-E, self-e, self^e, self, self/e, selfē <---- I like this one.



familyē or familē

I may have missed the mark on what you were after...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.