A trend in many magazine-style articles is to take a quote from the body of the article and place it in its own blockquote or other special formatting, then place it somewhere irrelevant in the flow of the document.


Is there a name for this practice? It can occasionally add some context as an image caption, but most of the time it simply breaks the flow of reading with some non-sequitur nonsense, as above.

In all honesty, the whole reason I want a name for this is so that I can complain about it more effectively. I work at a publishing company, and I've seen this practice sneak into a few of our books. In addition, it's quite common in professional blogs such as The Verge, witness the obnoxious orange text splattered throughout.

  • 1
    I call them splash quotes, although I don't know why.
    – Oldcat
    Commented Feb 19, 2014 at 22:43

1 Answer 1


As noted in my answer to a related question, terms callout, pull quote, sidebar, hook, and blurb are names of various forms of emphasized quotes that accompany magazine articles. Also see What is the name of the technique where an article quotes itself in large text?, which quotes from desktoppub.about.com as follows.

Used to attract attention, especially in long articles, a pull-quote is a small selection of text pulled out and quoted in a larger typeface or using some other formatting distinct from the rest of the article. A pull-quote may be framed by rules, placed within the article, span multiple columns, or be placed in an empty column near the article.

  • 1
    Ah, thanks. I tried searching this on the site, but it's dashed hard to search for without knowing the term already.
    – Emmett R.
    Commented Feb 19, 2014 at 22:56
  • 1
    In my shop we call them callouts, but most of our work is video or powerpoint rather print. Commented Feb 19, 2014 at 23:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.