Just a different question but it's bugging me, I need an answer.

I used to come from France to the USA when i was a boy to visit my family, and to my great annoyance (they thought it would suit my blond hair) and embarrassment my two American female cousins managed to put me in a dress and attach something to my hair. I can't figure out the name of what they attached to my hair back then but I think it's called either a ribbon or a streamer and it was in American flags.

Is there a difference between the two?

1 Answer 1


Streamer carries the implication that it is long and narrow. Typically, it would be attached to a child's bicycle handle to catch the wind and stream.

It is a type of ribbon. But, ribbons can be wide, flat, short, etc.

What you are describing being put in your hair is a ribbon. When someone ties something of that nature into their hair, it is described as a ribbon.

In summary, not all ribbons are streamers, but all streamers are ribbons.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.