The most evocative image I can think of for this is when the headlights of a car pass through your bedroom.

I need this word because I have a computer graphics application that requires me to name a class which has the projection of another object, and I don't want it to be either ProjectedVisualObject or ShadowVisualObject because the first one is just not the word I'm looking for, and the second one isn't really accurate because it still has all the color of the original object.


3 Answers 3


In physics the light that passes through an object is called the transmitted light. Perhaps you could call it TransmittedVisualObject?


"permeating light" or "diffused light" might fit also.

diffused adj. (of light rays) subjected to scattering by reflection from a rough surface or transmission through a translucent material; "diffused light"

permeate v. to pass into or through every part of: sunshine permeating the room.

  • Thanks for including the definitions, because these are not direct synonyms; diffused has a specific use, whereas permeating is more general. It would be dangerous to use diffused in this case, since light does not usually diffuse when going through glass, but rather refracts (if the glass is lensed).
    – TylerH
    Feb 17, 2014 at 16:56
  • Well, These are more literary ways to say it depending on how you use it in a sentence. Because also his headlight-bedroom example is a more literary usage than technical. "refracted" or "transmitted" are too technical but he can choose them for his context.
    – ermanen
    Feb 17, 2014 at 19:00

If the angle of the light has changed, it would be called refracted. Perhaps that is what you are looking for?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.