What is the appropriate way to talk about an article that has been published in a journal? Has it been accepted "into" the journal, "to" the journal, "in" the journal, "by" the journal?


As someone whose wife recently had a paper accepted for publication by a journal, I've been hearing that a lot lately. I imagine once the journal is published, she'll be talking about having her paper published in the journal.

I guess the determining factor is, do we refer to the journal itself, or the company that publishes it?


"Accepted by the Journal" is correct...here 'Journal' is substituting for the editor or staff of the journal that did the actual accepting.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.