I am looking for a term that I could use to say that the new Minister of Health removed the present holder of the given post from his position. My first idea was call off, but then I looked up the meaning and learnt that one can call off dogs, not a person from his job.

  • Dismiss, Discharge
    – mplungjan
    Feb 11, 2014 at 13:29

1 Answer 1


Perhaps we could say:

The Minister asked X to step down.

The Minister removed X from the post of ... .

X was asked to step down (by the Minister). (in the passive form)

  • It's true the Minister would probably say he asked X to step down. But the press would normally report it as he sacked X. Feb 11, 2014 at 14:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.