Just wondering, can "show through" be used interchangeably with "show around" in AE?

"Trained docents will be delighted to show you through the house." http://www.hewhs.com/museum/

  • 2
    Just wondering, when are you going to stop posting a multitude of similar questions. It's also suspicious that nearly all your quoted sources come from pdf files. Coincidence? – Mari-Lou A Feb 9 '14 at 19:05
  • In that source, they're not interchangeable. "Show you through" means something more like "show you in". Here's an example. – Peter Shor Feb 9 '14 at 20:05
  • @PeterShor Why's that? Why aren't they interchangeable? Would you mind and spell it out to me in plain English? ;) – Elian Feb 9 '14 at 20:07
  • 1
    "Show you in": would be used when showing somebody the way to get to an office where he as an appointment. "Show you around": would be to give somebody a tour of some place. Your source has "show you through" under "receiving visitors", so there it's a synonym of "show you in". The song lyrics I linked to have them "showing you through" a gate, which is again like escorting you in. – Peter Shor Feb 9 '14 at 20:09
  • 1
    @Nourished Gourmet: Do you actually take any notice of what you're told about "normal" English usage here on ELU? I notice that in your above comments to Peter you've used "mind and xxx" in highly non-standard ways twice. But several hours earlier Peter had (somewhat patiently, imho) explained to you that such usages don't sound like anything an American English speaker is likely to say – FumbleFingers Feb 14 '14 at 1:08

"Show you through [somewhere]" is definitely used for "show you around" in BrE (or at least in some BrE variants). Note that "Let me show you through", without other context, would mean through a gate/door/foyer etc, but "Let me show you through the house/office/building" means "show you around/give you a tour of".

This search for "'show you through' the house" has hits from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and US, and those for "'show you through' the property" are largely from Australia and New Zealand.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.