what does it mean: "Lowess smooth" in following picture

Graph showing "proportions of elections" on the y-axis over a span of years between pre-1800 to year 2000 on the x-axis. The curve starts low on the left, then keeps going in wave but in the end ends up a lot higher (It started at y-value about 0.5, and ended at around 3.4, with its highest point at 5.3 and lowest point at around 0.1

  • Please provide more context; as it is now, it is difficult to understand what you're asking. – anongoodnurse Feb 9 '14 at 9:07
  • 3
    I would advise a book on statistics. Like your other question, this has little to do with English, and everything with statistics. I can almost feel questions coming up about the difference between mean and average, or about quartile definitions. – oerkelens Feb 9 '14 at 9:49

A simple google search for 'Lowess' reveals it's a technical term:


| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.