I'm looking for a word to describe an old item that is soon to be replaced.

Temporary was the first thing that came to mind, but it didn't seem to fit in context as the old object has been there for a long time already so is hardly an interim substitute.

3 Answers 3


You might consider obsolescent or obsolete.

obsolescent adjective [ODO]
becoming obsolete:
obsolescent equipment

obsolete adjective [ODO]
no longer produced or used; out of date:
the disposal of old and obsolete machinery

If it's simply to be replaced due to wear-and-tear, and its replacement is essentially the same, then worn out or the more jargon-ish "end of life" might be better.

  • 2
    +1. I suppose if it wasn't obsolete, but wasn't worn-out either, one could also address whatever reason one had for the replacement, "the slower RAM has not yet been replaced", "the less stylish window-frame is still in place" or whatever.
    – Jon Hanna
    Feb 6, 2014 at 10:07

You might consider well worn (or well-worn)

showing the signs of extensive use or wear: a well-worn leather armchair

Note that impending replacement is not necessarily implied.


Dispensable, Disposable


  • 2
    Sources should be direct links to authoritative sources, not just links to a Google search. In addition, neither dispensable nor disposable describe something that is about to be replaced: they describe something that can be replaced, whether it’s about to be or not. Feb 6, 2014 at 10:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.