When people decline something, sometimes they wave their hand back and forth as a gesture of refusal. What is a word for this?


wave off-- to dismiss or refuse by waving the hand or arm: waved off his invitation to join the group. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Wave)

  • In 'Mercia it's mostly the middle finger except for Broadway. – AnBisw Aug 11 '14 at 9:11

I think in Britain we would probably say 'waved away'. 'I tried to speak to her but she just waved me away'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.