Are there any particular words to describe gates like theses ones?enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 2
    Lots of them: iron, imposing, ornate. Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 17:17
  • And can I use all three in one sentence? Or it will be too much?
    – Danielle
    Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 17:20
  • Certainly you can use three of them, but two might be stylistically better. Either ornate iron gates or imposing iron gates should get the idea across. I don't know if there's a single word for gates like this. Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 17:22
  • If you're referring to the specific ironwork, they're called overthrows. If you're looking for descriptors, though, you have plenty to choose from @PeterShor's list.
    – emsoff
    Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 17:24
  • 5
    I would say "wrought-iron gates". I think "wrought" adds something non-trivial here.
    – badroit
    Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 17:24

1 Answer 1


As far as I know, gates are gates. There are garden gates, driveway gates, entry gates... the type of gate shown is a wrought iron entry gate, an elaborate, ornate one. But it's still a gate.

  • 1
    I would guess the specific term OP is looking for is wrought iron gates. In which case it might be a good idea to point out, as Steven Pinker likes to that wrought is actually is a conjugation of an archaic form of the verb to work. Which very few people know, despite the fact that practically everyone knows perfectly well what wrought iron is. Try it by asking a few friends (excluding any who've actually heard of Pinker! :) Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 19:00
  • @FumbleFingers - a good friend of mine is a blacksmith. It would not occur to me that people would not know what wrought iron meant. Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 19:04
  • I myself didn't know the etymology until 15 years ago when in a rare display of extravagance I pre-ordered a hardback copy of Pinkers Words and Rules (having just read The Language Instinct and decided to worship him! :). Coincidentally I met a guy about then who claimed to be the only working blacksmith in the county (in circumstances where he asked me not to repeat that information, as he didn't want to be identifiable). I recall with certainty that he didn't know it either, because that was what prompted me to bore everyone else I knew, by asking them if they knew it! Few did. Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 19:28
  • @FumbleFingers - then how would people understand the phrase, What hast thou wrought? Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 19:53
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers: I remember being quite surprised when I learned that it was the past tense of work (I think I thought it was wreak before). I also remember being unable to convince somebody it wasn't the past tense of wreak. Commented Jan 31, 2014 at 23:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.