This question already has an answer here:

When it is needed to refer both male and female with pronoun,we usually use masculine pronoun 'HE'.But nowadays many people claim that it is a form of gender discrimination.So if in this type of case ,I use 's/he'.But can it be called grammatically correct?

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, tchrist, choster, phenry, Kristina Lopez Jan 29 '14 at 15:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    This seems like it is merely asking for opinions... and problematic at best. For instance who is this we who usually uses the masculine pronoun for either gender examples? – virmaior Jan 28 '14 at 7:12
  • That "we" would be the English language for the past thousand years. The masculine pronouns and the "general" pronouns have always been the same. Even nouns are sometimes-- mankind, the Ascent of Man, etc. So there is your answer. And No, s/he is not just ungrammatical. It is bad English; semi-literate. – venqax Oct 21 '15 at 20:23

It can hardly be called ungrammatical, but it doesn't make for an elegant style. You can either use they or recast the sentence.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.