In programming, it's common to write a class that both reads and writes files. What do you call this type of thing? Is it a file handler? A file parser? A file provider? A file streamer? How about a filer? Or do you just call it a file reader and leave it at that?

  • If you're going to downvote, at least leave a helpful reason. – Big McLargeHuge Jan 26 '14 at 2:11

Your first response is probably the best, along with file processor.

processor: a machine that processes something.

process: a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.

A parser implies that it only reads the files, not writes them.

A provider implies it is the source of the file, not an intermediary.

A streamer implies the files are either being written continually or converted continually.

A filer implies that the files are stored without modification.

A reader implies the files are read without modification.

  • 1
    I was thinking the same thing after I asked the question: what does it do? It handles file operations. File handler it is. (Processor is too long!) – Big McLargeHuge Jan 26 '14 at 3:33
  • 1
    Processor is too long! - careful, it's that kind of thinking that gave us the Y2K bug! ;) – Nomic Jan 27 '14 at 4:53
  • 1
    @Koveras "File Handler" is very close to the term "File Handle" - which is what you call a unique identifier after a process has opened a file. I wouldn't recommend use of "Handler" as it'd be easy for a tech-savvy reader to confuse the two. – 4444 Jun 11 '14 at 14:00
  • @Doc how about "file do-er?" It does things with files. – Big McLargeHuge Jun 11 '14 at 15:20
  • @Koveras "Do-er" is very vague and unprofessional. What does it do to the files; take them for a walk? Throw them a birthday party? (May I ask why Processor is too long?) – 4444 Jun 11 '14 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.