Is there a word ( noun ) that refers to the condition/ place at the base of a waterfall where the water that has fallen over upsurges upon hitting the bottom and rolls back on itself before continuing downstream ? I watched a child's ball caught in this, rolling on itself unable to float further with the flow.


I think the phrase you're looking for is plunge pool.

"A plunge pool (or plunge basin or waterfall lake) is a depression at the base of a waterfall created by the falling water scouring where it lands."

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.