What is the single word for the tiny pieces of hair left in your razor after you shave?

  • 4
    I use the word "hair". – Brad Jan 23 '14 at 19:49
  • 1
    Hope you're not thinking of hair clippings and/or trimmings, which are the ends of hair that has been cut off because they do not refer to hair found in razors. – Mari-Lou A Jan 24 '14 at 7:37
  • Detrius comes to mind. – JDługosz Oct 17 '17 at 16:19

While I've never heard the word used in practice, several online slang dictionaries list snoodge with this meaning:

The substance (consisting of compressed hair shavings, skin, shave cream, blood, and other facial detritus) that collects between the blades of a multi-blade razor, diminishing its effectiveness.
Next razor I buy, I'm getting the kind with the built-in snoodge ejector, so it won't get clogged up and thrown away so quickly.

This sounds to me more like a sniglet than a slang word in actual use. I would use Gnawme's suggestion of stubble instead if you prefer clarity to cleverness.

  • ‘Snoodge’ is used (I've heard it referred to as ‘snudge’ as well), but it means something slightly different. I understand the question here to be about stray hairs that get stuck in the razor, whereas snoodge is more of a gooey substance that clogs up the razor—individual hairs are not identifiable in snoodge, it's just basically goo. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 29 '14 at 1:16
  • Ah, interesting. The sources I found did not seem particularly reliable (and were obviously just copying one another) so I suspected that it was not a real word in actual use. It's quite possible that it's the word that the OP vaguely remembers out of the past, though. – Bradd Szonye Jan 29 '14 at 1:18
  • Bradd -- my memory being what it is (isn't), I believe "snooge" must've been the word I was trying to remember. It certainly wasn't a common word like "stubble" or "hair", but still a simple, one-syllable word. Could be a sniglet. Thanks for the help. – Don Feb 24 '14 at 13:57

It's called stubble on your face, and it's still called stubble in your razor.

  • I don't know why my stupid answer got voted up and why he didn't accept your answer, I almost fear the reason might be me i.e on witnessing my answer,he thought he won't get competent answers here . – Argot Jan 24 '14 at 16:41
  • I AM new, folks. Don't mean to offend, but I haven't seen an answer to "upvote/accept". Thanks for the efforts. – Don Jan 28 '14 at 17:24
  • Not a problem. Are you looking for a word that you might have heard in the past, and none of the answers posted thus far are that word? – Gnawme Jan 28 '14 at 18:58
  • Correct. Years ago. And I didn't write it down . . . – Don Jan 28 '14 at 19:34
  • Stubble is the short stubs barely sticking out on your face. That does not describe at all the pieces of whiskers hanging on the razor on in the sink. – Mitch Jan 29 '14 at 1:51

You can refer to it as residual hair .

  • Thanks, but I remember it as a single word that specifically meant what I indicated. – Don Jan 23 '14 at 18:34
  • I thought so ...but this won't be incorrect – Argot Jan 23 '14 at 18:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.