You know you have a sneeze coming, and you do that, haah haaah, the nose gets this odd feeling but the sneeze doesn't happen.

What's this feeling/thing called?

  • Interesting question. I think most people would know what you were talking about if you called it the "sneezing sensation", but I don't know of a specific name for it. – Kevin Workman Jan 23 '14 at 18:21
  • Tingly. At least, that's what I call it. – E.Groeg Feb 7 '17 at 13:08

I'd say that you're feeling sneezy.

  • 1
    A million guesses .... Never would have thought of it..great answer. – Argot Jan 23 '14 at 18:42
  • I can't believe that's in the dictionary. Great word. – Josh Jan 23 '14 at 19:54

I believe that feeling is called a 'tickle'.

  • I had thought about it but asked to see if there was any specific word for this. – Bleeding Fingers Jan 23 '14 at 19:54

I will venture 'sternutatory sensation'.

  • 1
    I would gladly upvote this if a reference is provided... – Josh Jan 23 '14 at 19:55
  • @SoylentGreen If you look at the Wiki entry for 'sneeze' you will see it is extensive. 'Sternutation' is the medical term for a sneeze. From there I took a step sideways to 'sternutatory', which exists as a word. Hence the experience of which you speak must be a 'sternutatory sensation'. – WS2 Jan 23 '14 at 20:58

protected by tchrist Mar 7 '15 at 20:19

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.