You know you have a sneeze coming, and you do that, haah haaah, the nose gets this odd feeling but the sneeze doesn't happen.

What's this feeling/thing called?

  • Interesting question. I think most people would know what you were talking about if you called it the "sneezing sensation", but I don't know of a specific name for it. Jan 23, 2014 at 18:21
  • Tingly. At least, that's what I call it.
    – E.Groeg
    Feb 7, 2017 at 13:08

3 Answers 3


I'd say that you're feeling sneezy.

  • 1
    A million guesses .... Never would have thought of it..great answer.
    – Argot
    Jan 23, 2014 at 18:42
  • I can't believe that's in the dictionary. Great word.
    – Josh
    Jan 23, 2014 at 19:54

I believe that feeling is called a 'tickle'.

  • I had thought about it but asked to see if there was any specific word for this. Jan 23, 2014 at 19:54

I will venture 'sternutatory sensation'.

  • 1
    I would gladly upvote this if a reference is provided...
    – Josh
    Jan 23, 2014 at 19:55
  • @SoylentGreen If you look at the Wiki entry for 'sneeze' you will see it is extensive. 'Sternutation' is the medical term for a sneeze. From there I took a step sideways to 'sternutatory', which exists as a word. Hence the experience of which you speak must be a 'sternutatory sensation'.
    – WS2
    Jan 23, 2014 at 20:58

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.