picture of sliding metal gate to enter old elevator

Is this a grill door? if not what do you call this type of doors? Old elevator systems uses this door. If a hinged door is opened, we use "push open", "pull open", "heave open", "dash open", "bang open" etc... How will you narrate the operation of this type of door.

  • I think we called them "elevator gates", back when they actually existed. It was "slid" open/closed.
    – Hot Licks
    Sep 2 '15 at 12:12

Slide open seems apt.
It is not called a grille door but a scissor gate:
The design is basically the same as that of a grille but the term for it is scissor gate:

  • 2
    However, a narrative story would generally use grille or just gate: “Once the elevator had ground its way to the fifth floor, he slid the [grille][gate] open and stepped gratefully on to terra firma.
    – Andrew Leach
    Feb 14 '14 at 8:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.