I have seen fist bump mentioned in some books, and would like to know what it means.

closed as off-topic by choster, RegDwigнt Jan 23 '14 at 16:52

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – choster, RegDwigнt
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Welcome to EL&U. A simple web search for "fist bump" turns up many explanations and photographs of the gesture, e.g. fist bump. If you have a question about the phrase suitable for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts, I suggest you edit the original question, or if you are not familiar with StackExchange, to visit the Help Center. – choster Jan 23 '14 at 16:52
  • This is general reference i.e you can easily search this on web. – Argot Jan 23 '14 at 16:52
  • 1
    This site is not for these "easy" questions that can be searched easily. Also, take a look at the English Language Learners site. – Lester Nubla Jan 23 '14 at 16:55

It's when two people are bumping their fists together.

A fist bump (also called dap, pound, fist pound, bro fist, spudding, fo' knucks, box, Bust, pound dogg, props, Bones, respect knuckles, or bumping the rock) is a gesture similar in meaning to a handshake or high five.

A fist bump can also be a symbol of giving respect. It can be followed by various other hand and body gestures and may be part of a dap greeting. It is commonly used in baseball as a form of celebration with teammates, and with opposition players at the end of a game.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.