I know there is bitch-slap, that is when you you hit someone a male or a female with back of you hands (sometimes) when they act or do stupid. I want to know the word that is subtle in nature, that when we hit someone at the back of their head when they do stupid thing. Like an elder bro hit a younger one to correct him...

I know a word Gibbs-slap, but that is so american and I want a global term.


  • 1
    In the olden days when I was young, a common term for what you're describing was "cuff." To "buffet" meant to cuff repeatedly. – Sven Yargs Jan 22 '14 at 18:21
  • 1
    @Sven, cuff is, to me at least, not specifically in the back of the head—in fact, the most immediate and natural collocation I can think of is cuffing someone on the ear (or giving them a cuff on the ear). – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 22 '14 at 20:13
  • 2
    I am "so american." And I have never heard anything close to Gibbs-slap. – Josh Jan 22 '14 at 21:10
  • I agree, Janus, that cuffing is specific about the portion of the anatomy that a person strikes with and not about the portion of the anatomy that receives the blow. Subjectively I always imagined that a cuff was less sharp than a slap, but I don't know whether other people generally made that distinction. A more target-specific term was "box [one's] ear"—but because of the image of boxers in a ring, I never associated that term with an open-handed swat or slap. – Sven Yargs Jan 22 '14 at 21:14
  • @Josh : NCIS dude. – Trish Ling May 29 '15 at 8:02

That was referred to as "slapping or smacking someone upside the head" when I was growing up. It's described here in this comedy video by Chris Rock where a disgruntled doorman starts smacking people upside the head - always with an upward motion of the hand and usually on the back of the head.

This New York Times article talks about this expression as having started as one used by blacks and then adopted by all races in the southern part of the United States. I went to high school in a racially mixed region of the US and heard this expression frequently.

  • 1
    Similar to that is the more BrE idiom of smacking/slapping/clouting/etc. someone round the head, which means the same thing to me, though slightly less specifically. In this question, Colin Fine states there is no particular part of the head indicated, but to me does indicate (absent any evidence to the contrary) that the smack in question was in the back of the head. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 22 '14 at 20:18
  • +1 - I didn't realize this was an AAVE phrase rather than a general one, but then AAVE was the predominant dialect at my grade school, so perhaps I wouldn't notice. – T.E.D. Jan 22 '14 at 21:41
  • According to Kipfer & Chapman, Dictionary of American Slang, Fourth Edition (2007), "go (or hit) upside one's face (or head)" means "1 To beat or pummel, esp around the head 2 To defeat utterly; trounce; CLOBBER (1960s+ Black)." That doesn't sound much like "slap on the back of one's head" to me, but I don't have a better phrase to offer in its stead. – Sven Yargs Jan 22 '14 at 22:45
  • All this is true but it is a very marked expression. – Lambie Apr 2 '16 at 23:06

Dope slap is the most common expression I know for striking someone in the back of the head with an open palm. The b-expression, which I will not repeat, usually refers to a different kind of strike, typically a backhand across the face (or am I thinking of the pimp slap?).

  • Good one.... So is this common enough for people to understand what I am trying to convey? – Essai Selvan Jan 22 '14 at 17:22
  • I'm not British, but this search comes up with examples of people using the term there. – phenry Jan 22 '14 at 17:27
  • As an American, I've never heard the term. But if you said "I dope slapped my kid brother" I'd at least still get the general meaning. – starwed Jan 22 '14 at 19:13
  • 2
    I've heard "dope slap" all my life. I understand it to be a light smack in the back or side of the head, not intended to be painful, more of a form of physical exclamation point on the end of "What were you thinking?" – Marc Jan 23 '14 at 4:22
  • 1
    @Lambie - If you ever listened to NPR, dope slap was a favorite term of the Car Talk guys. That alone would make it known across the country. – Hot Licks Apr 2 '16 at 23:36

seftie or sefty Australian slang for a open handed slap up the back of the head

  • 2
    Welcome to EL&U. As StackExchange seeks to develop a library of definitive answers, your answer could be improved if you could provide examples, as from publications or other media, or a definition from a dictionary or other reference. I encourage you to take the site tour and review the help center for additional guidance. – choster Apr 2 '16 at 23:21

Wallop can be used to describe a defeat or a hit, but is also used to describe a hit to the back of the head.

protected by tchrist Apr 3 '16 at 12:45

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.