If someone writes in a manner such as "U hve to run daily ... only then U will lose weight" and you correct it to "You have to run daily, only then you will lose weight." I suppose you can't say you have corrected grammar. What can you say you have corrected? Punctuation?

  • It's grammar, all right. U and hve are not 'words' in formal English writing, hence ungrammatical. – Kris Jan 18 '14 at 14:05

I'd say you've corrected their writing style. They were writing in an informal slang style. It's been corrected to a more formal style.

I suppose you could say you've corrected the spelling, since "U" to mean "you" may not be in most dictionaries. It depends on if you see "U" as a slang word in its own right or as a misspelling of "you".


It's a matter of spelling. In the conventional orthography of Standard English, the second person personal pronoun is spelt you and not u, and the verb is spelt have and not hve.


You have translated text speak into English. But it is still not fully correct. 'Only then you will lose weight' should read 'Only then will you lose weight'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.