What do you call a single row of keys on a keyboard if it has more than one (for example on an organ)? Is "claviature" the right word for it (example: "The keyboard of the organ has 4 claviatures.")?

  • 2
    Andalur, asking "how do you call" is awkward and uncommon. A wording that is more natural is what do you call.
    – Tristan r
    Jan 15, 2014 at 17:06
  • 1
    @Tristanr or also "What is the word for ...?"
    – Mitch
    Jan 15, 2014 at 17:47
  • 1
    Seeing how you are trying to translate Klaviatur, you should start by looking it up in a bilingual dictionary of your choice. Or just check out Wikipedia, which not only has the English translation, but actually points out that the musical term in German is Manual as well.
    – RegDwigнt
    Jan 15, 2014 at 17:56
  • Mitch, yes. That is another possible wording.
    – Tristan r
    Jan 15, 2014 at 21:23

2 Answers 2


An organ has one or more manuals (and, usually, a pedalboard which the organist plays with his feet).

manual noun

3 an organ keyboard played with the hands not the feet.


The collection of manuals, together with the stops, is called the console. However, one would normally say "the organ has four manuals" rather than "the organ console has four manuals", because the manuals are always in the console.

  • 7
    What a wonderfully misleading phrase for someone who knows nothing about musical instruments. If I saw the sentence, “The organ has four manuals” (out of context, obviously), I’m sure I would be left wondering why anyone could possibly need more than just one user guide for a heart or a liver … Jan 15, 2014 at 17:32
  • @Janus Every phrase ever is misleading for someone who knows nothing about the subject at hand. Even more so if it's out of context.
    – RegDwigнt
    Jan 15, 2014 at 17:57
  • 2
    Yes: I have learnt something in 35 years of playing organs!
    – Andrew Leach
    Jan 15, 2014 at 18:39
  • What about synthesizers that have more than one row of keys? Jan 15, 2014 at 21:16
  • What about them? I'd call those manuals, too; but then I'm an organist. Others might call them upper and lower keyboards, perhaps. The question was about organs, which, as Janus has noted, have a specialised vocabulary.
    – Andrew Leach
    Jan 15, 2014 at 21:55

An organ console has one or more keyboards (if you mean to be played with the hands or feet) or one or more manuals (if you are referring only to keyboards played by the hands).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.