As audible in the first 27 seconds of this video, and frequently heard on the intellectual powerhouse that is TV show Take Me Out, people make this whooping whistling cheering noise – generally in vaguely hedonistic situations.

Does it have a name?

  • 2
    Whooping? Whistling? Cheering? They're all used as simple nouns to describe such noises. – FumbleFingers Jan 14 '14 at 17:06
  • 2
    @FumbleFingers Yes. I'm looking for a word or phrase to describe this exact noise. I feel it's common enough for the possibility of there being a word, phrase, or some slang to describe it specifically. Something akin to wolf whistle. – Max Jan 14 '14 at 17:16
  • 1
    @Alec: I don't get you. The roar of the crowd is often used as a generic term covering many different noises (not just roaring), but wolf -whistling, for example, is a specific type of whistling. And whistling is a specific type of noise the audience might make. Are you asking for a single word covering all different types of vocal audience participation? – FumbleFingers Jan 14 '14 at 17:29
  • 2
    If you're referring to "uah, uah" chanting, I don't think there's any specific name for it, it's just a common chant made by partygoers at clubs or raves. It goes back decades and I believe it has its roots in the rave movement but in any case I can remember it back all the way to the late 80's. – T Nguyen Jan 23 '14 at 17:07
  • 2
    It predates rave, young one. The "ooah, ooah" is from the 70's and was never given a name that I'm aware of - though it has evolved to "woot woot". It's a mimic of the standard whistle that appeared on lots of disco tunes. – rmirabelle Jan 26 '14 at 19:23

Some sources refer to this noise as the “disco call.” For example, it appears in the index of Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco as “‘Whoop! Whoop!’ (disco call),” and the Beastie Boys refer to it in their song “Shake Your Rump”:

Oowah, oowah is the disco call

It looks like the the sound may have originally been referred to as a disco call, then later as the disco call, perhaps because it's the best-known example.


I believe that since you seem to be talking about a very specific sound people have been making only in the past few decades, an onomatopoeia might suit your needs better. I think a simple "whooOop - whooOOP" would probably work in context.


The people that clap/whistle at performances are called a claque, but i don't know exactly if there is a word for exactly what they do. If there isn't, I think someone should invent a new word. Words that describe the question more generically might be: clap, whistle, wolf-whistle, cheer, enthusiastic support, roar of the crowd, etc..

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.