What a common abbreviation for two's complement code? I've searched on Google, and find "TCC" as a required abbreviation on thefreedictionary. Is it commonly recognized? Or may be there are some other suggestions?

  • See also: acronymfinder.com/Two%27s-Complement-Code-%28TCC%29.html However, while TC is indeed used for two's compliment, TCC is rarely used in this sense. – Kris Jan 13 '14 at 11:53
  • Good question. I don't know one. Maybe invent your own. Subscript 2'? – user24964 Jan 13 '14 at 11:58
  • Can someone please invent one? I've come to this question to see if there is one, and found that I had already upvoted it at some point in the past – endolith Apr 23 at 18:02

There doesn't appear to be one.

I have a Master's degree in CS and about 25 years in the industry under my belt, and have never heard of one. Of course that isn't authoritative, so I checked out the Wikipedia pages for Two's complement and for Method of Complements. No abbreviation was found in there. There's a fair bit of math going on in those pages to explain the concept. IMHO, if the mathematicians didn't bother with a notation for it, then there probably isn't much of one.

In fact, it looks like "Two's Complement" itself is a bit of an abbreviation. For completeness sake you really have to specify how many bits you are working with, as well as whether you are talking about the number format, or the operation itself.

| improve this answer | |
  • With similar (though not quite as much) background, my experience is the same. – Doc Jan 13 '14 at 16:47

We used to the term a lot when talking about computer samples (this was 20 years ago), in casual speech we would say "two's comp".

We also had a short hand (we would need a button and "two's comp" is a bit long) but I can not remember right now. Something like 2n-1 but I am really not sure now but it was represented in other software like this too...

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.