What is a word for someone who loves to experience? A philomath is someone who loves to learn. Wanderlust describes a strong desire to travel. In that vein, is there a word for someone who seeks to experience things: boat rides, a circus performance, ice cream cones at the beach, attending a concert. In this context, a gift of experience would be preferred to an object or possession - for example, tickets to a baseball game rather than a baseball jersey.

  • Extroverted, perhaps? – Josh Jan 13 '14 at 2:25
  • Experientialist is an proponent of experientialism, the philosophical theory that experience is the source of knowledge – bib Jan 13 '14 at 2:37
  • 1
    Perhaps a "thrill seeker"? – Elliott Frisch Jan 13 '14 at 4:25
  • Geoffrey Chaucer would say liver, but that word has a different connotation now. – Anonym Jan 13 '14 at 7:28
  • Adventurer? Bon viveur? Hedonist? Or the opposite, outgoing or sociable? Restless? Ants in his pants? – RegDwigнt Jan 13 '14 at 13:50

Perhaps you are looking for "novelty seeker"? In the psychological sense, the meaning might be a bit strong, but, generally, someone who enjoys having new/different/a range of experiences could be said to seek novelty. I certainly use the term of myself. "Thrill seeker", of course, would work if the types of experiences are adrenaline inducing.

And I just found this:

Definition of NEOPHILIA: love of or enthusiasm for what is new or novel

So "neophile" would also work.

protected by tchrist Sep 3 '18 at 13:50

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.