In general usage (and hopefully correct usage) a "notifier" is someone who notifies.

What is the word for the person who is notified?

For example: "Instruct each [X] to respond to the notification within 3 days."

  • 2
    Using "notification recipient" or simply "recipient" gets you close.
    – orokusaki
    Dec 6, 2013 at 16:08

4 Answers 4


While I expect that you're looking for something like notifiee, I'm not aware of any such word that would have that exact meaning. That being said, there are several good options that could work:

In the general case, (though these may overuse the notify root for your taste):

Instruct each of the notified to respond...

Instruct each notified individual to respond...

If the notification is a written message that they received.

Instruct each recipient to respond...

If the notification is some sort of pop-up in a program

Instruct each user to respond...

  • 2
    +1 - you could also use a noun that is specific to the situation, e.g. 'instruct each resident', 'instruct each student', etc., depending on who the people are. But if you want something more generic I don't think you'll get anything better than Dusty's suggestions.
    – gpr
    Feb 28, 2011 at 21:59
  • I'd just go with the generic 'recipient'
    – HorusKol
    Feb 28, 2011 at 22:46

If those that are notified had to subscribe (e.g. to a mailing list) to receive the notifications, then you can call them subscribers.


From Wiktionary:

Notifyee (plural notifyees)

(rare, nonstandard) a person or organization that is being notified

  • Hi, thanks for the answer! Can you add the source where you found this definition? (Quoted material without a reference is likely to be deleted; see our referencing help page for details.)
    – Hellion
    Aug 30, 2019 at 20:16
  • Got it from Wiktionary Aug 31, 2019 at 22:07
  • 2
    Notifyee looks very odd. The formation itself is both regular, transparent and obvious, and I would have no qualms using it, but I would expect it to be written notifiee (by analogy with notifier). Aug 31, 2019 at 23:07

I know this question is old and you've already accepted another answer, but for the sake of those like me who come after, the word you were looking for is notificant.

  • 4
    This word is not in any dictionary I have access to here (on my phone, so no OED, etc.), and it sounds like it should mean the person notifying someone, not the person notified. Moreover, all Google hits refer to an app called Notificant. In other words: does this word even exist? Oct 15, 2013 at 17:07
  • 2
    It's not at Dictionary.com: dictionary.reference.com/browse/…. @siemova I like the word, but it's certainly not in general usage. Oct 15, 2013 at 18:33
  • 1
    It's not in the OED. The OED asks if "modificand" is meant, which of course is not.
    – ab2
    Feb 1, 2017 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.