Some software I am using has got the word "Glossarise" in it, which baffles me immensely. My spell checker hates it but googling for the word returns results for sites like Urban Dictionary but no reputable dictionaries or resources.

Since I am in the position where I work for the company that writes this software, I figured I'd suggest it gets fixed and replaced with an actual word.

In the software, the word is used to apply custom glossary entries to text on a page, following a process where you select the word or phrase and then click a button on a toolbar which is labelled as "Glossarise".

What is the verb for "Glossary"?

  • "create a glossary"? "add to glossary"? – Mitch Jan 6 '14 at 17:10
  • In this context it's more like assigning a popup to a word or phrase corresponding to an entry that has already been added to the glossary – Flyk Jan 6 '14 at 17:51

It's gloss.

to insert glosses on; annotate.
to place (a word) in a gloss.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.