I am looking for one word for situation explained as under:

  1. We (My Company) have a contractor.
  2. His contract amount is $ XYZ per annum.
  3. As the year ended he was already paid an amount "beyond contract" limit.

What should this amount be called? "Extra amount paid" or "Amount paid beyond contract limit" or what?

Is there exists any single or hyphenated word for this situation?

  • How about bonus?
    – Mr Lister
    Jan 2, 2014 at 9:56
  • That would be an amount paid specifically as a reward, not just payments above contract amounts
    – mplungjan
    Jan 2, 2014 at 10:01
  • 3
    exceeding or in excess of are common ways to refer to such expenditures. Jan 2, 2014 at 10:12
  • Over and above?
    – WS2
    Jan 2, 2014 at 12:22

2 Answers 2


Perhaps you're looking for "overpayment", or "overcharged" or "bonus"?

If he billed you the correct amount, but you paid more then it was an overpayment.

If he billed you too much, then you were overcharged.

If he billed you the correct amount, and you paid him the correct amount and then added more (not in error) for his exceptional performance; then it might be called a bonus.


using "above and beyond" the contracted amount can emphasize this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.