Is there a single English word for a single hair that grows on someone's head which is practically bald?

I found a picture like this one, this is a movie character:

enter image description here

See that one hair? Is there an English word that describes that hair? [Not just that is one, but also a hair.]

  • 1
    Single, lone, only, solitary, etc. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 31 '13 at 15:08
  • 1
    It looks more like a lock of hair than a solitary hair. Perhaps it's a baby Cossack, and it has what the Russians call хохол. – z7sg Ѫ Dec 31 '13 at 15:15
  • 1
    That looks thicker than a single follicle or a strand - in fact its more like a small tuft. – Autoresponder Dec 31 '13 at 15:17
  • 1
    How about "lonely"? – Elliott Frisch Dec 31 '13 at 15:42
  • 1
    A die hard follicle? :P – Dom Jan 1 '14 at 23:29

How about a strand? I suppose you could complicate things by adding such words as single and solitary, but a strand is a strand; single and solitary would seem, then, to be redundant (though an argument could be made that strand needs the word one or a to accompany it, since to say "He has strand of hair" would not sound right).

  • A strand of hair, you mean? Does strand have the same meaning as a strand of hair or a hair strand? – Safira Jan 1 '14 at 2:09
  • @Safira: Yeah. Using simply "strand" to refer to a single hair is a bit of a stretch. Moreover, a strand is not limited to hair, of course, but also includes fibers, threads, filaments, strings and the like. – rhetorician Jan 1 '14 at 2:17

You could probably call it a Charlie Brown, and many Americans would get what you meant.

  • 1
    You mean Charlie Brown's hair or just Charlie Brown would make a meaning of that one hair? – Safira Jan 1 '14 at 2:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.