Is there a term that can be used to refer to both the prefix and suffix of a word?

For example, unenjoyable. I'm looking for a collective word that described BOTH un and able.

closed as off-topic by RegDwigнt Dec 30 '13 at 11:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – RegDwigнt
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    If the prefix and suffix necessarily occur together, as in en-XXX-en, then together they act as a circumfix. Consider the circumfixed verbs enlighten, enliven, enhearten, enharden, enripen, enbiggen. In all these cases, the XXX is an adjective, and applying this particular circumfix to said adjective produces a verb that bestows that quality on something. – tchrist Dec 30 '13 at 2:37
  • not sure about a single word, but I believe an apt phrase would be the "grammarians' crucifix"! – Sam Dec 30 '13 at 3:40
  • The opening sentence of the Wikipedia article on prefix: "A prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word.". And the very first sentence of the Wikipedia article on suffix: "In linguistics, a suffix [...] is an affix which is placed after the stem of a word.". – RegDwigнt Dec 30 '13 at 11:31

I think the word you are looking for is Affix Though that also includes other *flexes, than just suffix and prefix

Noun: affix (plural affixes) (linguistics) A bound morpheme added to a word’s stem; formerly applied only to suffixes (also called postfixes), the term as now used comprises prefixes, suffixes, infixes, circumfixes, and suprafixes.


I believe you are looking for "affix"

noun Grammar

noun: affix; plural noun: affixes


  1. an additional element placed at the beginning or end of a root, stem, or word,
    or in the body of a word, to modify its meaning.
  • 1
    Ah, beat me too it. Simultaneous answering :-) – Lyndon White Dec 30 '13 at 0:48
  • Where is this quote from? Always cite your sources. Moderators are instructed to delete on sight anything that's not properly attributed. – RegDwigнt Dec 30 '13 at 10:10

Like the other answers mentioned, the general word referring to prefixes, suffixes and similar, is affix. However, Wikipedia also mentions adfix as joint name for prefixes and suffixes but not any other kind of affix:

It [infix] contrasts with adfix, a rare term for an affix attached to the end of a stem, such as a prefix or suffix.

See the definition of adfix in Wiktionary.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.