In an English-language book, we conventionally have, among the first few pages, a page displaying essential data concerning the book: Library of Congress Cataloguing Data, various credits, publication date/location, copyright and other legal information, etc.

What is this page called? Do we have a specific term for it?

EDIT: in my research, I found this described as metadata. Would it be appropriate to call it the metadata page?

  • 2
    Generally it's called the copyright page, because copyright is a legal requirement; all those first few pages together are called generically Front Matter. Dec 29 '13 at 19:43
  • I agree with John Lawler that these first pages are called Front Matter. I would not call them metadata. Nobody would know what you're talking about. You might find this article helpful: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_design
    – JLG
    Dec 30 '13 at 4:08

I've always heard it referred to as the "copyright page," but it looks like it's also called the "edition notice."

  • That's also helpful; cheers
    – Newb
    Jan 10 '14 at 22:29

The page in question is conventionally called the Front Matter. Reference.

(Thanks to John Lawler and JLG, q.v. comments on question.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.