picture of three (turkish style) toilets separated by dividers

For example, in the picture above, there are three of them.

How should I refer to them?

As in a sentence like:

I excused myself and went to the toilet, but all of the [...] were occupied.

  • 9
    These are called stalls. This also seems like more of an ELL question than an ELU question.
    – J.R.
    Dec 29 '13 at 11:12
  • @J.R. Sorry, can we do a migration?
    – janoChen
    Dec 29 '13 at 11:13
  • 1
    Perhaps a mod can migrate it. Or maybe you could delete it here and ask it over there. Or maybe you could just keep that idea in mind for next time. (But don't leave it open here and re-ask it over there.)
    – J.R.
    Dec 29 '13 at 11:18
  • 2
    @J.R. Separated by a common language: Why is it that the (BrE) cubicles in American (BrE) public toilets never go all the way to the floor or the ceiling ...; "There's no paper in the second (AmE) stall" ... And so I defensively asked "What would you call it then?" Ta-da! I give you cubicle. separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.in/2010/04/…
    – Kris
    Dec 29 '13 at 11:36
  • 1
    @Kris - I'm not surprised there's more than one name for that place where we do our "duty". As a matter of fact, I'd be rather surprised to find the opposite – that the same term is used in all contexts, in every nation of every continent. Had the question mentioned that specifically (i.e., something like, "I know these are called stalls in the U.S., but are they more commonly known by another term in other parts of the world?"), then I might have cast an upvote instead of suggesting another exchange.
    – J.R.
    Dec 29 '13 at 12:16

These are called stalls. Wikipedia shows the definition of "stall" as

a small enclosure of some kind, usually less enclosed than a room.

and gives these examples:

  • In a cathedral, the stalls are the seats built into the quire (or choir) in the eastern end of the structure.
  • In a theatre or concert hall auditorium, the stalls, also referred to as orchestra seats, are the seats on the ground floor directly in front of the stage.
  • In a public washroom, multiple toilets are separated into stalls for privacy.
  • In the United Kingdom the bake sale is known as a cake stall. a high-backed booth at a restaurant
  • A shower stall

The individual areas are called cubicles (BrE).

  • 1
    Wait, why exactly was this downvoted? I myself refer to the individual partitions as 'stalls' or 'cubicles'. Dec 29 '13 at 15:52
  • 1
    I can imagine someone downvoting this because I myself would never have figured anyone would call it this. 'Stall' is the only word I know for this, and 'cubicle' refers only to a desk enclosure at an office... in American English. Possibly 'cubicle' is what is used in other varieties of English (british? Aussie? etc?)
    – Mitch
    Dec 29 '13 at 17:20
  • 1
    +1 from me! But it might be a good idea to edit your answer and mention that cubicle is BrE. The dictionary reference doesn't mention anything about toilets either.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Dec 30 '13 at 4:13
  • 1
    I've never called it a stall in my life, in AuE is it consistently "cubicle". We understand "stall", though.
    – Ledda
    Dec 30 '13 at 8:10
  • 2
    Should someone downvote Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 for his US-orientated (oops, oriented) answer? Dec 30 '13 at 16:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.