What is an office that keeps records of marriages and divorces called in English? I guess Civil registry is the general term, but what's the specific word for the above mentioned office?

closed as too broad by Janus Bahs Jacquet, user7237, FumbleFingers, anongoodnurse, Andrew Leach Dec 28 '13 at 22:25

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 5
    Offices like this have different names in different countries. The Wikipedia article you yourself linked to gives a few of these; there is no universal name. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 28 '13 at 20:26
  • IN the US, this has several names. In the Us government system these records are kept at the county level (Not federal, not state, but county). It could be a Vital Records office, a County Recorder's office, or County Clerk's office, or a whole bunch of other things. – Mitch Dec 28 '13 at 22:26

In Britain, this office is called the Register Office (informally, registry office).

A register office (frequently referred to as a "registry office" in non-official and informal use) is a British term for a civil registry, a government office and depository where births, deaths and marriages are officially recorded and where one can get officially married, without a religious ceremony. The term and function is also used in some parts of the former British Empire such as Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, India, and Jamaica, but not Canada.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.