What is an office that keeps records of marriages and divorces called in English? I guess Civil registry is the general term, but what's the specific word for the above mentioned office?

  • 5
    Offices like this have different names in different countries. The Wikipedia article you yourself linked to gives a few of these; there is no universal name. Dec 28, 2013 at 20:26
  • IN the US, this has several names. In the Us government system these records are kept at the county level (Not federal, not state, but county). It could be a Vital Records office, a County Recorder's office, or County Clerk's office, or a whole bunch of other things.
    – Mitch
    Dec 28, 2013 at 22:26

1 Answer 1


In Britain, this office is called the Register Office (informally, registry office).

A register office (frequently referred to as a "registry office" in non-official and informal use) is a British term for a civil registry, a government office and depository where births, deaths and marriages are officially recorded and where one can get officially married, without a religious ceremony. The term and function is also used in some parts of the former British Empire such as Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, India, and Jamaica, but not Canada.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.