This question already has an answer here:

I see this style rather frequently and in the past decade many print advertisements have apparently decided that it makes their sentences. have. more. impact. I can tell that the style is trying to mimic a very specific spoken word pattern that accentuates every. single. word. But I don't know if this writing style has a name.

I am specifically interested in the written variant that uses periods throughout a sentence in order to emphasize each word.

marked as duplicate by Marthaª, MrHen, Mari-Lou A, Kristina Lopez, tchrist Dec 20 '13 at 19:54

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • That question doesn't actually have an appropriate answer, though. :P – MrHen Dec 20 '13 at 17:15
  • Yeah, but it's still a duplicate. Maybe this'll bump it enough to acquire a good answer. – Marthaª Dec 20 '13 at 17:15
  • This question has been asked in other places, too, and I have not seen a valid answer. The best invalid answer is "a massive failure of the internet," found here: answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090126180002AAPakUd -- don't click the link on that page unless you want to be Rick-Rolled. – Cyberherbalist Dec 20 '13 at 17:27
  • 1
    @Marthaª: I don't think that's a very good policy here. Most of our questions don't state the matter very well, and most of our answers are not much better. Banning a question as a duplicate simply because somebody has asked it before and not gotten a good answer prevents good answers. – John Lawler Dec 20 '13 at 19:56
  • By the way, there's no special name for this style. It's simply an attempt to make pronunciation and capitalization represent a very specialized "tone of voice" with emphatic emotional purport. – John Lawler Dec 20 '13 at 19:57

Personally, I'd call it "Emphatically. Irritating. Style." Really.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.