Is there a single word which means "reverse delegation" or "upwards delegation", which is a person passing work upwards to the highest level that will accept it?

This question has also been raised here, but no acceptable answer was given.

1 Answer 1


In IT and customer services, when a level one/lower level support technician cannot help with a query, they escalate it to a level 2 or even higher level support technician.

This is not a widely used term, and I could not find a definition related to this; but it could work depending on your context.

  • 1
    Escalation is perfectly understandable to me and we use it often when, as in your example, a customer support issue needs to be passed up to a higher level of technical support. Dec 17, 2013 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.