It is currently snowing, but the sun is shining. If it were raining while sunny, I would call that a sun shower. What is the equivalent for snow?

  • 1
    This article agrees with the previous comment in calling them sun snow showers.
    – Gnawme
    Dec 16, 2013 at 18:27
  • Wouldn't "sun flurry" be a more evocative term?
    – Sven Yargs
    Jan 7, 2014 at 4:01
  • How about "It's snowing"? Is there a reason to change the phrase simply because the "sun is out," whatever that means.
    – pazzo
    Feb 23, 2015 at 15:05

2 Answers 2


Sun snow shower comes to mind :)

Makes sense too


sun snowburst?

The meteorological definition of a snowburst is as follows:

"A short period of heavy snowfall, say on the order of 10-14 hours or so with snowfall rates around two inches per hour and greater. It is believed that snow frequently forms and falls out within "short" distances - say hundreds of feet. There is a tendency for the larger flakes to fall out closer to the shore."

NOAA defines snowburst as:

"Very intense shower of snow, often of short duration, that greatly restricts visibility and produces periods of rapid snow accumulation."


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.